EDC-4 Pavement Preservation When/Where
Pre-registration is required for this webinar.
Webinar information will be provided after registration.
March 20, 2019
2:00p.m. – 3:30p.m. Eastern Time
This webinar will provide an opportunity for participants to learn about the results from an important FHWA
study on the topic of Pavement Preservation When/Where. Outcomes from this webinar that can be used by
practitioners who are interested in adopting preservation into strategic business practices include:
• Be able to quantify the effects of preservation on pavement performance, starting with the definition
and selection of the right performance measures and associated pavement condition metrics, triggers
• Follow a four-step procedure to support the pavement preservation decision-making processes.
• Explore ways a Pavement Management System can be used to select pavement preservation
treatments as well as approaches for using pavement preservation to inform the asset management
Webinar Sponsors: Mr. Jason Dietz, P.E., Mr. Thomas Van, P.E.
Federal Highway Administration
Webinar Facilitators: Gonzalo Rada, Ph.D., P.E. and Jonathan Groeger
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions, Inc.
1. Welcome, Introductions and Overview 2:00 – 2:05
• Welcome from FHWA (Van, Dietz)
• Webinar scope and objectives (Groeger)
2. Guidance on Measures, Metrics, Trigger and Thresholds (Rada) 2:05 – 2:25
• Selection of treatments, performance measures, metrics, triggers and thresholds
• Development or selection of pavement performance models
• Selection of cost-benefit analysis tools
• Example implementation scenario
3. Guidance for Strategic Level Selection and Evaluation (Rada) 2:25 – 2:45
• Preservation in lifecycle planning and investment strategies
• Communicate and disseminate preservation guidance
• Case Studies for Strategic Level Assessment
4. Preservation from an Asset Management Perspective (Groeger) 2:45 – 3:00
• How does pavement preservation impact plans to meet the TPM rules?
• How is pavement preservation used in Transportation Asset Management?
5. Q&A 3:00 – 3:20
6. What’s Coming Up (FHWA) 3:20 – 3:30
7. Adjourn 3:30